Wednesday, April 29, 2009

outbreak...

Does anyone remember this movie?

I think I was in junior high when it came out.  What I mostly remember about it was being in the movie theater during the coughing scene and then being really freaked out that the other patrons in the theater were going to give me god knows what.

This brings me to the recent media frenzy over the swine flu.  I find it extremely annoying that our media causes such panic and alarm over the tiniest thing. When something bad actually does occur we are dont know whether to believe it because they are always crying wolf!  

It is frustrating that you never know when the threat is really elevated (since it always is) or when to relax.

The kids in my class are really scared over the swine flu.  A few a them are convinced they have it.  For now, I think we are safe.  ( I have promised them I will keep watch over their condition).  I guarantee it is paranoia from their parents and from watching the news.

I don't want to be a coward.  I know that the flu can be serious and we are in close proximity to an area which has confirmed cases of the disease, but all these news conferences and notes home to parents and freaking the kids out about hygiene they should already be doing anyway is making me tired.

My favorite comment about it today was from a boy in my class.  He came up to me this morning and told me he was worried another student was showing signs of diarrhea and that the news said this is a symptom of swine flu.  Of course the child who he was concerned about told me that she felt okay but ate candy for breakfast this morning because her Mom had to be at work early and her 5th grade brother told her to make breakfast herself.

At least they are always looking out for each other.  So I guess I can't complain really.

1 comment:

  1. We're in level 1 pandemic precautions at work. I almost had to FORCE a guy to use hand sanitizer. "No sir, you may not touch the sign in sheet until you have used hand sanitizer." I mean, he wanted to sign in, then use the hand sanitizer. It's pretty silly, I know. I was glad I didn't have to use force.

    ReplyDelete