Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Dental Hygiene

Today I took the first step in overcoming my fear of the dentist.

I was frustrated because a few months ago I tried making an appointment and they called a day before my cleaning and cavity treatment to tell me that I had to reschedule. This was after I had scheduled for a substitute to come and wrote lesson plans for the following day. Her exact words "We lost a hygienist and need to reschedule you." What? How do you lose a hygienist? Do you know where you left her? Ugh, annoying.

But I let my boycott go on too long and felt a horrible toothache on the horizon. I called yesterday to make an appointment and they told me they couldn't see me until mid September. I considered throwing the phone, but instead I politely asked if they could send my films to another dentist as soon as I found one to take me. She put me on hold and then came back to let me know a miracle had occured. She would be able to fit me in today at 8am with the dentist and 9:15 with the hygienist.

I did embarrassingly scream loud when she snuck in a shot near the front of my mouth. I couldn't believe I had done that. I just knew my face was red. I immediately said sorry and told the patrons in the rooms around me that I was sorry if I scared anyone and it really wasn't too bad. The assistant started laughing. I don't think they were prepared for me.

I survived. The hygienist was cute and sweet, and gentle. I think we should all appreciate medical professionals being easy on the eyes. It just makes things better. I am sure he thought I was just adorable with drool running down my face, blood on the front of my shirt from jumping during the shot, my eyes constantly watering, coughing because I hate that sucker thing, and asking to go to the bathroom twice during treatment.

Did I mention I look like I had a stroke with the left part of my face all saggy from the 7 injections of novacaine. Which leads me to the Whole Foods trip I took afterwards to purchase soup. But I will have to save that story for later. This whole adventure is tempting me to overdose on vicodin and catch up on Oprah.

1 comment:

  1. ugh the dreaded hygienist. It's them I'm scared of, not the dentist.

    In fact, I chose my dentist specifically because he runs a one man show. He is the receptionist, hygienist, and dentist.

    And probably janitor.

    ReplyDelete